The Tokai MTB trails will host the autumn edition of the SRAM Mast Blast virtual event.
The SRAM Mast Blast is a virtual Hillclimb event set to take place on the 24th of April 2021. The event is open and free for everyone who wants to have a good time challenging themselves on one of Cape Town’s toughest climbs whilst practicing social distancing.
How does it work?
This event is a Virtual Hillclimb using the Strava app for timing. There are no fixed start times or time schedules other than TokaiMTB’s operating hours. It is open to everyone and entry is free. To enter, simply join the Bike Network Club on Strava – it’s free and that’s what we will use to pull the results! There are no prizes for positions but the bragging rights are priceless.
The segments, SRAM Mast Blast and SRAM Mast Blast eBike are live on Strava and we suggest you have a look at the exact start, finish and routes on those links before taking part. By way of description, the segments start adjacent to the lower entrance of the Fairie Garden single track and end just before the top of the climb, at the mast. There is no singletrack in the segment, the route follows the main jeep track all the way up. In terms of distance, you are looking at roughly 9.5km, with 760m of climbing and an average gradient of 8.0%.
New to Tokai?
See the trail map here.
Where is registration and prize giving?
There is no registration. It’s a virtual event with no physical, in-person registration or prize giving. We will post the results here a day after the event. SRAM and Pirelli are donating lucky draw prizes to a few riders. To enter into the lucky draw tag @bikenetwork.co.za and @capecyclesystems on your social media on the day of the event.
What time can I ride?
You can ride anytime during the usual opening hours of TokaiMTB.
|OPEN WOMEN: Cindy Porobich 1:10:28|
|OPEN MEN: Nicholas Lambrecht 50:33|
|MASTERS MEN: Tom Dicker 44:47|
|eMTB: Chris Brand 30:11|
- The focus is on fun. So, whilst acknowledging the unusual time everyone is experiencing it is important to allow yourself to have some fun and celebrate life, bikes and the riding community which you are a part of.
- The event is free and open to everyone who has a good vibe. No entry for riders with bad vibes.
- Stay on the roads as they exist.
- Analog and eBIKES are welcome. Just be sure to upload to the relevant Strava option.
- You can do as many attempts as you like.
- We reserve the right to make a judgement call on ‘what is right’ if there are any Strava anomalies in the timing.
- Only Strava times will count towards the results and if the segment does not pop up try hitting View All Results or Show Hidden Segments.
- There are no number boards, official race support, registration tents or the like.
- Embrace the spirit of riding and be polite and friendly to all riders out there.
- The top positions in each category will be posted as the official results a few days after the event right here on Bike Network.
- All Covid-19 government recommended protocols must be adhered to and you will be solely liable, to the exclusion of Cape Cycle Systems (Pty) Ltd, its directors, affiliates, agents or employees, for any liability which may arise as a result of non-compliance.
- All the wildlife on the mountain has right of way and you must respect them and their home.
- By entering the virtual event as aforesaid, you accept the terms and conditions set out herein, expressly including but not limited to the non-liability provision hereinbelow.
Cape Cycle Systems (Pty) Ltd nor any of its directors, affiliates, agents or employees will not under any circumstances be liable for any loss, damage, injury loss of life or any harm or damage to person or property which may be suffered by any person(s) who participate in the SRAM Mast Blast. All participants in the event acknowledge those risks inherent with cycling and participate entirely at their own risk. The participant accordingly agrees to indemnify and hold Cape Cycle Systems (Pty) Ltd, its Directors, affiliates, agents or employees from any and all claims or causes of action resulting from the aforesaid harm or damage to person or property arising from participating in the SRAM Mast Blast event and any claim in this regard is expressly waived by the participant.