The Tokai MTB trails will host the inaugural SRAM Mast Blast virtual event soon.
The SRAM Mast Blast is a Hillclimb virtual event set to take place on the 5th & 6th of December 2020. The event is open and free for everyone who wants to have a good time challenging themselves on one of Cape Town’s toughest climbs whilst practicing social distancing.
How does it work?
This event is a virtual hillclimb using the Strava app for timing. There are no fixed start times or time schedule other than TokaiMTB’s operating hours. The SRAM Mast Blast is open to everyone. You can do as many attempts as your legs like over the weekend. Once you have completed your ride send a screenshot of your time for the SRAM Mast Blast segment (on Strava) to firstname.lastname@example.org and the top positions in each category will be published. There are no prizes for positions but the bragging rights are priceless.
The segment, SRAM Mast Blast by Curve Cycling is now live on Strava and we suggest you have a look at it. It starts adjacent to the lower entrance of the Fairie Garden single track and ends just before the top of the climb. The segment is set for the fastest route up the mountain which is the main jeep track. It is 9.79km long with 759m of climbing and an average gradient of 7,8%.
|Next Gen Female:||Female Under 18|
|Next Gen Male:||Male Under 18|
|Open Female:||Ages 19 to 40|
|Open Men:||Ages 19 to 40|
|Masters Female:||Ages 41 +|
|Masters Male:||Ages 41 +|
*Age on the day of your ride
New to Tokai?
See the trail map here.
Where is registration and prize giving?
There is none. It’s a virtual event on the 5th & 6th of December with no physical, in-person registration or prize giving. The winners of the lucky draw prizes from SRAM, Pirelli, Camelbak and will be announced on social media, on www.bikenetwork.co.za and notified by email. The prizes will be sent to your nearest bike shop for your collection.
What time can I ride?
You can ride anytime during the usual opening hours of TokaiMTB. You can do both days or just one of them. It’s up to you.
How to enter and what to do
- Join the Bike Network Club on Strava
- Email your name, contact number, age and the category you wish to enter to email@example.com before end of business on 4 December. This entry process also enters you into the lucky draw for some cool prizes from SRAM.
- Entry is free but you must have a day pass or Activity Card from SANParks to be on the mountain and why not join TokaiMTB club in the process?
- The focus is on fun. So, whilst acknowledging the unusual year everyone is experiencing it is important to allow yourself to have some fun and celebrate life, bikes and the riding community which you are a part of.
- The event is free and open to everyone who has a good vibe.
- Stay on the roads as they exist.
- Analog and eBIKES are welcome. Just be sure to upload to the relevant Strava option.
- You can ride on one of the days or both of them.
- You can do as many attempts as you like.
- We reserve the right to make a judgement call on ‘what is right’ if there are any Strava anomalies in the timing. [As you know Strava is not always a perfect timing device]
- Only Strava times will count towards the results and if the segment does not pop up try hitting View All Results or Show Hidden Segments.
- There are no number boards, official race support, registration tents or the like.
- Embrace the spirit of riding and be polite and friendly to all riders out there.
- The top 10 positions in each category will be posted as the official results a few days after the event right here on Bike Network.
- If you want your results to be considered for the Top 10 in each category then email your time and screenshot of the ride to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 7th December 2020. Remember to include your category in the mail.
- All Covid-19 government recommended protocols must be adhered to and you will be solely liable, to the exclusion of Cape Cycle Systems (Pty) Ltd, its directors, affiliates, agents or employees, for any liability which may arise as a result of non-compliance.
- All the wildlife on the mountain has right of way and you must respect them
- By entering the virtual event as aforesaid, you accept the terms and conditions set out herein, expressly including but not limited to the non-liability provision hereinbelow.
Cape Cycle Systems (Pty) Ltd nor any of its directors, affiliates, agents or employees will not under any circumstances be liable for any loss, damage, injury loss of life or any harm or damage to person or property which may be suffered by any person(s) who participate in the SRAM Mast Blast. All participants in the event acknowledge those risks inherent with cycling and participate entirely at their own risk. The participant accordingly agrees to indemnify and hold Cape Cycle Systems (Pty) Ltd, its Directors, affiliates, agents or employees from any and all claims or causes of action resulting from the aforesaid harm or damage to person or property arising from participating in the SRAM Mast Blast event and any claim in this regard is expressly waived by the participant.